Skip to main content

Dock Soup

I'm so excited about today's posting. For one, it's been on my 'to-do' list for sometime. And second, it's super delicious. The pictures I post today were taken last month, in early October, when it was greatfully warm outside and I was able to pick this amazing herb in a short sleeve t-shirt. Now it's the end of November and snow will be on it's way. (Must...pick...more...and freeze.) This amazing perennial herb is 'yellow dock'. Some of you may even have supplements in your cabinets, but eating it is sooo much better! It promotes elimination of toxins, bacterial infections, acne, treats headaches, and constipation. Now, I'm really fortunate to have yellow dock growing all around my yard. And I'm 99.9% sure that you would too, if you never cut your grass. I guess living in the country has its benefits. It thrives well in any location, from well-drained soil to clay. For us, it grows among the wood lines and beside our garden. So... on with the recipe:


First, you will need broth. You can make your own by using an actual piece of chicken (recommended) or
by using pre-made broth, chicken or vegetable. If you are using an actual piece of meat, boil it for over 45mins. Remove the meat from the bone and using a fork, shred it and add it to your soup. Keep it on a constant low simmer while you prepare your next step. This specific day I used vegetable broth.

 
Next, in a separate deep pan, add about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water. Place your washed yellow dock inside. You can add Swiss chard and spinach as well. Steep it, turn it, but do not over cook.  

On a gas stove, this part takes 5-7 minutes. You want the leaves to cook enough to lose their crispness, but definitely not fall apart. Remove and place on cutting board. I save a little of the greenish-yellow water and use it later that day as an astringent for my skin. You can even add it to your bath.


Chop, chop, chop it up!

Place it back into the soup that has already been simmering. At this point I add my salts, chopped parsley, and give it a quick taste. 

In a little bowl, beat two eggs, till you get some bubbly.

Turn up that heat! Get the soup to a full boil. When it's boiling consistently for over a minute, use one hand to slowly pour the eggs in while the other hand is stirring, creating your egg noodles.

This is what it should look like:)

We absolutely love this soup! It's light, tasty, healthy, & quick to make. This is one of the ways I get my kids to eat their greens. Both girls, say it's their favorite. Completely recommended - this is a must-have herb in any home garden:) Hope you enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent