Skip to main content

A November Wrap




Alright readers, here's the deal. A day of rummaging through vintage patterns has transpired into a whole new project. I was scavenging through some old patterns & pieces for a women's 50's style cape. Why? Well....for the little ones of course. I'm downsizing the patterns to fit my girls & even though I can't wait to share that project with you, there's something I gotta show you first. A November Wrap. Inspired by the vintage style of a 60's cape gone shawl, I'm pretty sure this will be a timeless, classic addition to my closet. The only thing I wish was that you could cross over the computer & feel how soft this vintage fabric really is.





I needed to added a coordinating or contrasting fabric.

 
I started with a 50 by 50 inch square piece of soft, retro, wool like fabric. I folded it into a triangle, so that it made a shawl shape. (How easy is that? But, I only did it because of how light weight the plaid material is.) I serged the pieces together from the center point outward, towards the sides. Serging is not necessary. If your using a regular sewing machine, I do recommend a straight stitch to connect them & a zig-zag stitch to finish the edge so that it stops from fraying. 

 
Next, I cut two pieces of my contrasting fabric. One strip measured 50.5" by 3.5"
& the second, 54" by 3.5"

 
Start from the center point on the back and stitch your shorter strip to your shawl.

 
Repeat this step with your longer strip. Here, you can see why one strip needed to be longer.
 
 
Since the shawl/wrap is lined with the face fabric itself, your contrasting strip is what will define your inside & outside. I finished the edge by folding over the remainder material inward and did a straight stitch where the two fabrics were connected.


I gotta say, it's beautiful. 




 
This project was super easy, fast, & fun!
All too great not to share.
 
 
On another note, I'm debating which one of these will be in the works.
 
 
To inspiring the unexpected!
Happy Trails:) 
 


Comments

  1. That looks so comfy!

    http://sewscissorhappy.blogspot.com/2012/11/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...