Skip to main content

The Fairy Garland


One of the greatest things about having little girls is that a part of me gets to stay young. From watching them play school to house & dress-up, everyday is a new adventure. I wanted to share with you a great project for spring. It inspired our girls to pretend they were fairies under a ribbon of flowers.  Be it for a party or bedroom, this super long fairy garland is a sure try for anyone. I think that you will really enjoy this fast, simple, & inexpensive project.


You will need 5 pieces of 9x12 felt, ribbon (uncut), pipe cleaners, wire cutters, a marker,
& a good pair of shears.






I used classic rainbow felt that was made from post-consumer recycled
plastic bottles. Hip, hip, hooray! And at less than a dollar a piece, who can beat that?





Divide your 9x12 felt into 2 inch sections.
Then from those, take 2 and cut them in half again, like the picture below. 




These 4 pieces will create 1 flower or 8 petals.
(And one 9x12 piece of felt can make 3 flowers.....Yes, we do math too:))
Fold each one of the four smaller rectangles in half.
Then, draw a petal onto the fold to keep them connected and cut.
I made a template to show you the basic shape, but you really don't need one.
By the end of this project, you'll be making petals with your eyes closed....;)




Place the four sets on top of each other and twist loosely with a pipe cleaner that has been cut in 1/2.



After your first initial twist to secure the flower petals together, start spreading them apart.
Refold the flowers onto each other as needed. You can do this by taking the petal 'behind' and pulling it slightly in front of the petal before it. When you get the shape desired, tighten the
pipe cleaners to a more secure & tighter twist.
(But don't cut off the excess pipe cleaners. You will need them to secure your
flowers to the garland.)




Look at your flower!!!
 Now make a whole bunch more!
After all your flowers are created, lay your ribbon out and place your flowers as you like.
Simply twist your pipe cleaner around the ribbon & flatten to secure!




With about a foot in between my flowers, I was able to create a 6 yard garland!!!







It was a fun project to make!
I hope everyone is inspired to play around and create their own garlands.
They're great for bedrooms, parties, & porches!
Hope you enjoyed, Happy Trails:)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...