Skip to main content

Some Delightful Things....



Oh, cold weather, you've done it again! Yesterday morning we celebrated another day off from school due to the arctic chill. A pajama day indeed. Jumping on beds, crafty projects, and painting kept us busy most of the day. It was quite divine:)






The paintings were fun and we worked with watercolor and acrylic. Even I managed to get my fingertips dirty. The idea: simple lines and shapes with limited colors (and teaching my little one, moderation with paint). I love the way these came out!



The bracelets are another story. Ya, we've all seen them and yes... any mom you ask will say she's tired of finding these plastic bands ALL around the house. But I have a wonderful story to share.  It all started when my fourth grader decided she wanted to be classroom president. Every student was required to run, complete with a presentation & speech about what he or she would do if they became class president. There were some great ideas inspired by books we've read & we couldn't believe how eager she was. Working on this at home for some time made a difference. We couldn't be happier when we found out the good news. She was classroom president! "Now, I want to do something really special mom. I want to make a fundraiser." (This past year, "fundraiser" became a common household word....) "Do you think I can sell those bracelets for the kids that are at St. Jude's?"  To make sure we were talking about the same thing, I asked her which kids? Her brief reply referring to the commercials she's seen made me realize, she knew what and who she was talking about. I wanted to know why as well. What was it that she has seen or heard that made her want to help? She said it just didn't seem fair for them. "We're making all these bracelets and if we sold them, maybe the money could help them find a cure so they could get better & go home." Speechless, I just stared at her. As parents, we want to know that we are raising our kids to care, to be thoughtful, and have compassion. Never did I picture my nine year old wanting to do a fundraiser for other children. In all honesty, I didn't even know what to do. I guess I thought it was something she "just said."  Yes, I was still shocked and maybe a coping mechanism for having a strong minded child. "It's just an idea," I kept saying to myself.  And instead... I did the unthinkable. I remained silent and didn't pursue her fundraiser. She brought it up here and there, saying, "Mom, when are you going to call the principal for the fundraiser? Did you email my teacher?" For Christmas break & a couple weeks, we didn't hear about it. I thought her idea was long forgotten and she had changed her mind. Little did I know that silence can allow your child to speak louder and in their own voice. This past week it happened. I found a message left on my cell phone. It was the school principal. He had talked briefly about my daughter's persistence & how she wanted to have this really special fundraiser. "Let's get in touch and hear the plan, 'cause I think this is great."



That was it ~ she meant business. Before I knew it, I was in touch with St. Jude's, managed to contact the school, & get her game plan rolling. Sometimes it's the most unselfish things that can determine who we are and what we want to become. Glad to see she's on a magnificent start in wanting to make a difference. So as for the bracelets, we are super busy. Sewing will take the back burner so my little ones can show me how to make more than a 'fishtail'.  I don't think I will ever look at one of those rubber bands the same again. And yes, we're hoping to send some bracelets too:)

Happy Trails to making a difference:)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent