Skip to main content

Makeup Bag





The wrong way of doing things is what the title of this post should be. Yup, as a self-taught seamstress I've become a little stubborn over the years and refuse to spend time researching the correct way of making items....Hence, the make up bag. Here, one can find a really cute project, all by going about the wrong way of doing it ;) But it worked.... I needed one of these for storing some items and refused to pay the measly fifteen bucks at target. Why? Because I sew, I have fabric, and all those remnants could be put to use for a really cute one of a kind make up bag. So here we go!

 
You might recognize those adorable stripes from my first "strip & flip" quilt. Yes, these are the leftovers. I used a 9" zipper and cut my material 10 by 6.
 
 
Two additional pieces were cut out of pastel satin for the lining. I didn't measure the satin. I just used my outer fabric as a template and with a straight edge, I cut around it. Why satin? Of course because it's so feminine and I couldn't picture any other color. It was perfect & soft. Cut larger to allow wiggle room for errors.
 
 
I started by sewing the zipper, the 'invisible' way.
 
 
Make sure to iron the zipper after you've stitched it in place.
 
 
 
When sewn together, I ironed the satin hem in for a clean look
and stitched those pieces right on top too!
 
 

Looks a little sloppy right? Don't worry. Undo your zipper and pin your fabric together. Run it through your serger to combine the edges and again through your sewing machine for extra reinforcement.
 
 
 
 

Turn it inside out and your done! My finished make-up bag measures 9.5" by 5". This project is super quick taking less than two hours start to finish:) But this blog post is not over yet!

 Take a look at the start of an upcoming project. The summer table runner:)
 



 


 
 
All those quilting sites have me inspired! And... for those who haven't stopped at Etsy, I've uploaded new aprons. Yeah, you could say I've been a busy stitching bee!

Happy Trails:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent