Skip to main content

A Spring Top



 
A retro inspired top!
 
What can be better than making the uncoordinated ~ coordinated? Putting unpredictable fabrics together is something I love to do with sewing. I found myself drawn toward a multi-colored polka dot fabric that could only be enhanced by a bright, lime green & yellow lining.
There was no need to break this project up into sections.
It was a simple pattern to work with. Take a look!
 

 
Cutting the pattern and fabric is always the most tedious part. It has to be precise or your finished product won't look so finished.
 


Transfer every marking! For transferring darts, I marked the central and end points.
Connect them with a straight edge.


Line the darts downwards and stitch together towards the center point.


Connect your front to back, only at the sides.
Next the 'mini' lining ~ Stitch them together, at the sides, face fabric inwards. I finished the lower edge with a serger to keep the ends from fraying.
You can do this with a zig-zag stitch on your machine.


 
 
 Place your lining over your top, right sides facing each other.
Sew only at the armhole edges and neck.
 

Clip away at the curves so that when you turn it right side out, you press and achieve a flat, flawless seam. I connected the shoulders by straight stitching face sides together, once with the serger and then again with the sewing machine. (Unnecessary, but a habit indeed.) You could finish with a slip stitch only if you leave a seam allowance at the shoulders when sewing your neck and armholes.
This is where my pattern slightly disappointed. There really was no wiggle room.
I serged for the hem and pressed inward; completed with a straight stitch.
 
 


I used the coordinating lining fabric to make an abstract ruffle.
(I'll have to show you that in another post.)
 A black knit button made a perfect point of interest.
Making clothes and items for yourself or others is extremely rewarding. I swear, once you make a piece, the term well-made takes on a whole new meaning.



 
I'll have to make sure I get a snapshot of how cute this top looks on!
 
To more up and coming projects!
Happy Trails:)
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...