Skip to main content

Spoon Sweets

 
With 5lbs of green, seedless grapes, what's a girl to do? Make some more spoon sweets!
 
For this recipe, I used 2 cups of sugar to 1/4 cup of water.
-Heated on a low flame till the sugar melted to a light syrup
-Added my washed grapes and continued to cook, until the grapes began to wrinkle
Some will pop and that's okay. You don't need more water because all those delicious grapes are packed with good juice.
 

 
 
What could be better than more spoon sweets made out of grapes?
 
If you haven't noticed, I make alot of these syrups. It is a tradition in Eastern European homes that upon arrival, guests are greeted with a cup of water and some spoon sweets. Grapes & small plums are the most common spoon sweets to serve. I, however, have a favorite... Rose Petals! Check out my post from May 26th in the archives. Yummy, yummy, yummy! And, remember, if you don't use these as 'greeting sweets', you can always use them to flavor your water!



This is important....
When in doubt, follow this:

Measure your fruits by the jars that they will be stored in.
Use an equal measurement of sugar & half the water.
(e.g. 3 cups of fruit will call for 3 cups of sugar and only 1.5 cups of water)

This method is good for raspberries, blueberries, & blackberries. (And never on high heat!) Grapes use less water because of the juice they contain. Rose petals shrink, so you will always use less water as well. Little helpful hints like these make all the difference.

To enjoying your spoon sweets!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...