Skip to main content

A Pocket



A fast pattern ~ promising a perfect fit & length was lacking something to make it unique. What could be better than adding a single pocket lined in black trim? So, I did it and here's how!

 
Once your fabric is cut, label your pieces if the shapes are too similar.
For this skirt, it would be very easy to confuse the front for the back.

 
Cut the shape of a trapezoid out. Mine measured 7.5" by 5.5" at the base and worked outwards.
(The wider the top, the more gathers you will have.)
 
Should you want 2 pockets on your bum instead?
Make them smaller!
Decrease measurements at least 2 inches:)

 
Serge or finish all sides with your zig zag stitch.
At the widest part, make one row of a gathering stitch.
You can do this with a straight stitch or zig zag, but your
length has to be on the longest setting.
 
 
Pull together and tie the ends when you get the desired pocket shape.
 
 
 
Using bias tape, cover your unfinished edge.
 
 
(It's easier to work with your skirt in pieces.)
Pin your pocket in place while folding the serged edge inside.
Remember to think about seam allowance
and possible adjustments.

 
Use small pins as they are easier to work with. And pin it all
along the edge.
 
Put your skirt together. Keep in my mind ~ working with knits is great.
You don't need elastic, just remember to use a zig zag stitch at the waist
so that it stretches over those hips when putting it on!
 
 
You could make these pockets on any skirts that are just too 'flat'.
A denim skirt for fall would be so cute with quilter's cotton fabric!
 
On another note:
What are we looking forward to? Picking that colossal pumpkin that finally turned orange and making a jack-o-lantern. School pictures are right around the corner. I sense a crazy morning ahead with my two divas. Another cute, quick pattern post. Anyone need some knickers? And who's in the mood for apple chips?
 
Happy trails till next time:)
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent