Skip to main content

Make It!

Why buy it when it's so simple to make it yourself. Right? I came across these adorable headbands at the mall and knew that they would be a great project to show on the blog. The greatest part, you can customize them to match perfectly with your threads. And... you can even use up fabric strips and scraps you no-longer have use for. I'm all about using up everything! So here's how it goes. You may recognize the fabric from the dress I made my daughter last summer. When I find a good deal on fabric, I buy alot:)

 
You will need 1/2 inch wide elastic cut at 5 inches. The elastic could be wider, but
remember that this is the part that will go at the base of your head.
Anything too bulky will be uncomfortable.
Start by cutting your fabric 3 1/2" wide by 58" long.
Cut off 12 inches and put aside.
Take the remainder of your fabric, fold it in half and cut again.
You should have 3 pieces of fabric.
1 at 12 inches & 2 at 23 inches
 
Take each piece and serge or sew them length wise with the face fabric inside.
 
 
Reverse them right side out so that anything that was stitched is now inwards.
 
Take your 12 inch strip and place the elastic inside.

 
You can see below how I folded the fabric.
 
Stitch an inch ~ length wise and then across twice to secure the
elastic from moving. 

 
Do this to both sides.
You should end up with a little piece of ruffled fabric with elastic inside.
 
 
Take the 23 inch strips and fold them into eachother.
Don't make a knot.
Leave the ends open.
 
 
Fold the ends inward so that no fabric can fray.

Working on one side, take your ruffled elastic piece
and insert it into one opened end.
You should insert the elastic far enough that the cross you
stitched does not show.
 

 
Sew them together. Add the loose piece on top and
following the same line, stitch again.
Once you've done it to both sides, you are complete!

 
That's it!
 
 
 
I really don't like to take pictures of myself, but what good would a project demo
be without the finished project being used?
I love my new headband and it's super comfy:)
 
A few things that are good to know:
1. stick with stretchy fabric
2. if it contains a higher percentage of cotton than elastic,
decrease your measurement from 58" to 56"
3. with all the fleece going on sale, this would be a great project to do
with multiple colors and you wouldn't have to finish any ends:)
4. elaborate ~ how cute would adding 3 matching buttons to one side look?
 
Hope you enjoyed this fast & fun project!
May the month of crafting be with you:)
 
 
Happy Trails:)
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent