Skip to main content

All for Quince!

Quince is known as one of the best fruits for jelly's and preserves.  A couple years ago, I stole a baby shoot from my in-laws backyard. (Old wives tale - if you 'steal' a plant, it's more likely to grow and flourish.) This tree has grown into a beautiful 12ft sight, flowering pinkish white buds in late spring.  (And, yes, they eventually found out.) This is the first year that the tree fruited to such an extent, I was able to make my first preserve/jelly. Now, in all honesty, the key to this recipe is measurement, meaning: everything depends on how much fruit you have. For the Quince preserve, I took a giant mixing bowl and filled it with water and two teaspoons of lemon juice. (Lemon juice to keep it from turning brown. But- don't be surprised if it still does a little.) I peeled all the quince very carefully, literally trying to remove only the tough skin. 'Organic' or what I call backyard fruit, really looks imperfect, with holes, dimples, and darkened spots. Remove any darkening areas. After your fruit is all peeled and is soaking in the 'lemon water', get another large bowl, we'll call it #2, and do the same. (Fill it with water and two teaspoons of lemon juice.)   Next, start grating the fruit. All grated fruit should be placed in bowl #2. After your fruit is grated, strain it. Measure in cups how much grated fruit you have. Place that in a cooking pot, NOT made of stainless steel or non-stick surfaces. The pot I use has a white coated interior. Now, you will need only 1/2 the amount of water. So.... If you have 6 cups of fruit, you will only add 3 cups of water. For the sugar, you will need one less cup than you have of the fruit. So, it would be 5. All ingredients should be added at once. Then cook for about 1 hour. Bring it to a boil then reduce it to low heat. I have a gas stove, and usually keep the flame on low to med. The grated fruit will become iridescent when it's ready. Some like to add a sprig of vanilla bean in the jar for flavor. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it on toasted bread and buns.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent