Skip to main content

Denim Makeover

My favorite pair of jeans ripped. And I'm not talking about the purposeful rips I bought them with. 
An unfortunate bout with cleaning (since there is so much of it going on being quarantined) is all it took to snag the 'already' made fashionable tear into a very unfashionable 4 inch vertical slit. Ouch. But I knew it was fixable. And what a great time to give my already adored pair a quick makeover. Here's how I did it!



The first thing was to seal up the vertical tear by stitching it closed. 
After measuring the rectangular size needed, all edges were ironed inward so that fraying wasn't a possibility. I placed my patch over the rip and stitched 2 parallel lines. My machine was not small enough to be able to stitch the sides to the denim so I used witchery stitch to fuse them together.
In the photo, you can still see my jeans are wet in that area! 

Next I started working on the new floral hem.

Start by snipping into the seam vertically. 


Then, continue to remove the seams completely. 


Time to grab the fabric!



Using your pants as a guide and adding a seam allowance, trace the shape and trim your fabric.


Stitch with right sides facing together.




This is a good time to place your fabric addition onto your pants to see how they look!

If all looks pleasing, iron the seams open.



Then, flip your jeans inside out.

Place the fabric, face side inward and align the seams as close as possible.

Just remember, it won't be perfect.  Almost all pants have a wider backside than front.

If you look at the photo below, you can see the seams were off a bit.




Pin the fabric and sew.





After the fabric is attached to the denim, place it downwards and up into the leg so that the right side is on top of the pants right side.

It'll feel a little confusing doing it, if your like me, but I promise it works in the end:)



Fold the open seam inward and press. Pin in place and stitch carefully along the edge.

That's all!

















How cute are those pair of jeans? I absolutely love them even more now!



Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at this fun and simple sewing project. 

As I scroll through my Instagram, it appears as though everyone is staying crafty, possibly to maintain sanity?  Even though it feels like a horrible dream, I truly believe there is a light at the end of this tunnel we're in. And I know I'm not alone on that one.
May you all stay safe and healthy. May you all find peace, love and gratitude no matter what our days may bring. 

Sometimes we have to remember the good no matter what. 
God bless you all. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...