Skip to main content

 The heat is still in full swing, here in Ohio, surprisingly. On occasion, we'll have a cool night but they seem so far and few between with the immense humidity that's in the air. Yes, our family is looking forward to sweater weather. I can't wait to open our windows and feel a fresh breeze run through. The air conditioning running constantly has made our air feel stagnant and kinda just blah! 


The girls have returned to school which is bittersweet. The hubs is just finishing up on our home project that was only supposed to take one month. (It ended up taking 3!!!) But the new staircase looks so beautiful! I have been tinkering about the yard, grabbing bundles of herbs to dry for winter. And... our freezer is looking quite lavish with all the garden grown veggies we'll get to enjoy after frost.

One of the most pleasant things that have happened so far is that I've learned about how important this extremely annoying weed was.

Every year... for the past 4 years, I've attempted to pull out and re-dig our front flower bed due to the overgrowth of Equisetum Arvense, or better known as, field horsetail. Little did I know, that I was eliminating one of the most important herbaceous plants, capable of healing ailments such as kidney and urinary infections, prostate health, arthritis and gout just to name a few.

So what does field horsetail look like? Here ya go!






So what exactly do you do with this amazing little plant? I've been washing and air drying them on a cotton tablecloth in my dining room. The low light is just perfect. When needed, I can take a few sprigs and place them in boiling water for a quick tea. If you're interested in a more "in depth" look at this beauty, try clicking over to this website for more info. Hit the translate button to English and you'll be amazed at what this perennial plant is used for.

Moving on...... I've finally drained my jar of yarrow oil! I filled a large jar with yarrow buds and grapeseed oil quite awhile ago. After about 6 weeks of resting in a sunny spot, my oil was ready for use! 





I love to store our oils in mini pop bottles. Now, I know you can't reuse the caps, but these beer savers come in handy all the time!

Yarrow oil is great for so many things! Use it for the common cold, hemorrhoids, upper respiratory infections, cuts and scrapes, and the oil even makes an awesome acne free facial moisturizer!
How great is that?!?


On the crafty note...
I haven't had much time to devote to sewing. Big sigh.....
But I think that's going to be changing pretty soon. 
I celebrated the girls first day back at school, by plopping on the couch and finishing up some needlework. The tiny rose will make a pretty darling addition to an upcoming project I'm excited to start. 
Also....
There's a very large "simple" quilt that is on the cusp of getting completed.
And....
The Autumn themed decor is slowly making its way out of hiding. 



Ending this post with some end of the summer images from our home! 
Till next time friends :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent