Skip to main content

A Heartfelt Mini Quilt




I hope everyone has had a great start to the new year! Projects have been looming on this end, and like everyone else, "wips" are scattered throughout the sewing room. Oh, what a beautiful mess it is!




 I wanted to show you all, my take, on a Valentine's Day inspired wall hanging. Now, I know that these are not exactly hearts but those colors and the tones! This was an extremely fast sewing project that was worthy of sharing. I almost wish I made four of these to create a bigger bedsize quilt. 


Here's how to get your project going!


It's best to use a colorful pallet. Scraps and even a pretty fat quarter bundle you have been eyeing out is worth the shot. All you need are 12 fat quarters, (that's what I used), or fat eighths, and 30 5x5 inch white fabric blocks.  (A charm pack is perfect too!) 
Technically, if you're using fat 8th's or fat quarters, 15 is optimal. That way a set of 3 colors can be used per block. 




Picking your lightest tone.... cut 4 - 2x2 blocks. 



For the second color......... cut 4 -  2x2,  and 4 - 2x 3 1/2 inch blocks

For the third row......... cut 4 - 2x 3 1/2 inch blocks and, 4 - 2x5 inch blocks

Stitch them together with a 1/4 inch inseam. This will create a 5 inch square. Repeat the cuts for all of your fabrics. 




The next step is to arrange your layout!
Do you prefer light to dark or vice versa?


After it's all arranged, start stitching the pieces row by row. Like the picture below!


Make sure to press your seams open as you go along!!

For the 2 corners that will only need one block, make sure your seams overlap a 1/4 of an inch.




When everything is all stitched together, this is what it should look like!


Time to take it to the cutting board!

I know that this is always a tricky part for any quilter. You cringe at the thought of slipping with the blade and cutting your work! Well this is a fool proof method if done correctly. 

With your ruler, measure a 1/4 inch out. This seam should already exist anyway. 



Slowly trim off the excess, one block at a time. 

Once complete, you'll end up with a beautiful mini quilt that didn't take too long to make!



The completed size is 26 1/2 inches by 32! 

I hope you enjoy creating such a simple but delightful piece!

On another note ~

I'm getting a really bad itch to get better at free hand quilting. Especially since this wall piece is ready for completion! How often do you spend time just practicing? 

There's a great bear paw quilt that's in the works. I just can't wait to show you!

And.... has anyone thought about future gardening? Dahlias have already been ordered and even though it's mush and slush outside, I've found the perfect spot for them!

Happy Trails till next time friends!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent