Skip to main content

A Colorful Quilt & Happy March!

Am I the only person who loves it when it rains outside? You'd think with a dog, 2 cats and chickens I would hate the mud. But the perks of getting to sit indoors and sew throughout the day outway my couple of minutes slushing through the yard to make sure all our little pets are ok!


Already budding in the yard! I just love it!

Having said that, we've been fortunate enough to have some extremely mild weather here in O-H-I-O. Like.... my girls were wearing shorts and t-shirts playing soccer outside! Yes - and that was in February. Now I've heard through work that there's an old wives tale; "if it's green at Christmas, it'll be a white Easter." So.... I'm not saying goodbye to any snow just yet. Even though multiple gardening mags have found their way to our mailbox, I promised myself not to do anything "gardenwise" yet. We'll see how long that will last...

I started making this colorful quilt about a month ago. This was one of those, little by little projects that I didn't rush to finish. Inspired by Craftsy's  quilt kits, I didn't want to purchase a whole new project, being that I have a lot of fabric that needs to be used up. So.... I gathered my solids, and found 2 block patterns on Pinterest that I wanted to try. This, my friends, was a total "we'll see how it comes out" plan. Towards the end of the project, I felt something was missing. A border. So I researched some more a found a cute striped border idea that combined all the colors! I love it and so does everyone in the family! It's a true compliment when your hubby says, "please don't give this one away." :)


Next, I need to get this baby quilted. I'm seriously contemplating sending it away to be professionally done. The idea of feathered quilting plus geometric lines has me picturing this one as a real beauty. I've been practicing free motion myself, but I'm too nervous to take that step. For the backing, it's gotta be some beautiful words with "text" fabric.







On the agenda for the upcoming months. De-toxing my body from that horrible winter food I've been eating. I've hit the Vitamin Shoppe and made some purchases that already have me feeling 'cleaner'. But.... how long can I do away with sweets? Till next time, I'll be staring at my kids eating those tasty Reese's peanut butter cups. :)

May March's trails make you smile!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...