Skip to main content

Making Rose Scrubs 101

There's nothing about sewing in today's post! Instead, I decided to bring the outdoors in thanks to my girls!


What do you do when you have two little girls who love to play 'Spa' and you're just not interested in buying products whose ingredients list contains words you can't pronounce? You make your own!
There are ton of ways to make rose salt scrubs, sugar scrubs, or even honey scrubs. 
But I have to say, I love mine the best & here's why.


For starters, I only use tea roses that are home grown with no fertilizers. Yup. These are the same roses I used to make rose syrup. You can find that recipe here.  So if it's okay to go inside your body, it's definitely okay on your skin!


And second, I add yummy items like essential oils, coconut butter, & honey. 
They're things that make a good smell even better!

For Rose Salt Scrub #1, you'll need:
~2 cups rose petals (preferably a tea rose)
~2 cups Epsom salt
~1/4 cup sea salt
~1/3 cup coconut oil
~patchouli essential oil 
(I love this smell but it's entirely optional.)
~food processor ~ use the plastic blade


Combine all the ingredients in the food processor.  For the essential oil, I took the dropper off  and drizzled the patchouli directly onto the rose petals.



You need to use the plastic blade if you want the scrub petals to stay pink. Just as I said in the syrup recipe, there is a chemical reaction when this specific rose petal hits metal. It turns it bluish purple! So... you'll need to use a wooden or plastic spoon each time you scoop or pour. I love to use this as a body scrub for me but will only use it on my girls' feet to exfoliate those summer soles that get oh~so dirty when playing outside:)

Having said that, here's recipe #2:
It's perfect for adding to your bath water!
1 cup rose petals
2 cups sea salt
1 heaping Tbsp of cornstarch.
food processor with metal blade

I like to add the cornstarch because it soaks up the moisture in the petals and I notice that it stays a powdery blue consistency. Again, the metal blade has a reaction to the petal color and voila! You have a gorgeous lavender, bluish colored rose salt! Add a few tablespoons to the water, or you can swap the salt for sugar and make a sweet body scrub!



Rose Salt Scrub
Rose sugar scrub with metal blade attachment for food processor.

Last, here's recipe #3 ~ The Rose Honey Scrub

You'll need:
1 cup raw honey
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 cup Epsom salt
handful of rose petals
lavender essential oil (optional)



Pour the honey, salt, essential oil and rose petals in the food processor & use the plastic blade attachment. After combined, add the grapeseed oil. If it is too thick, continue to add grapeseed oil one teaspoon at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.

Rose Honey Scrub

I love making these items at home with the ingredients straight from the pantry. I feel it sets good examples for the girls about being aware of what we put on our skin as well as how fun they are to make! Just remember to never use these scrubs on broken skin. Even though honey is extremely healing as well as coconut oil, the salts and sugars could add stinging and burning. If you're using them for your spa loving little ones like me, use it only on their hands and feet. If it's for you? Indulge. I love these for exfoliating!

Here's to enjoying the salt, sugar, and roses till next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent