Skip to main content

Fabric Buckets


As I'm looking at the scattered fabric squares and triangles on the playroom floor, I can't help but noticed that teddy bears and stuffed animals are decorating the base boards of the room. I attempt to make a fast clean up, quickly noticing all the bins are maxed out. So instead of instigating an impromptu clean up with the girls... this crafty mom finds the positive and starts another project. Yup, that's what happens to those of us who like to create. Sometimes I think I'm the only person that can see a mess and even that will spark a new idea! 


Fabric bins are great for so many reasons. They're washable, great for matching decor, you can use them from the closet to toys.... etc. etc. etc. You get the picture. Right? BUT.... I could never seem to find the perfect size. I really wasn't in the mood for running to the store to find a pattern and online sites... well....the fabric buckets are just to small. So, first I decided square bottom or circular? Circular seemed more easy. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed a huge chip & salsa wooden bowl.



Next I measured the circumference and made note to cut my fabric THAT length. Yes... THAT length. The reason. It's easier to cheat the base of the bucket rather than the noticeable side should you fall short with fabric length. I added seam allowance to mine and ended up snipping away while the base was getting stitched on. Ugh...

Going on... You'll need 3 parts each to the base & sides: outer fabric, inner fabric, & lining. Remember to ask yourself how tall do you want your bin to be? In the end you'll fold over the edge so add a generous inch and a half to the desired height!


Starting with base, I stitched my inner fabric to the batting I used as my lining.


Stitch the vertical part of the bin by matching right sides together and doing a half inch seam. I know it sounds crazy considering you didn't cut a seam allowance but, again, I did, and I needed to snip away a whole inch! 


Attach the base to the sides with many many many pins.

If you added seam allowance to your fabric anyways:
Start by stitching an inch away from the vertical seam.
By the time you make it full circle, you will be able to gauge if you need to snip away.


I added the side batting to the outer fabric because I wanted a couple horizontal quilt lines.
I added quilting to the base in the previous pictures to avoid bulking.



It's looking like a bin!


Attach the inside to the out and straight stitch the top.


Last, I folded over the top to create a contrasting line and some sturdiness to the edge.


And it's done!!!


The finished size is a little over 15 inches tall by a 13 inch base.




Happy Trails to the things that spark new ideas! Now, time to get back to those fabric pieces!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent