Skip to main content

Spring T-Shirts


Taking daddy's t-shirts has become a bad habit in this house. Well...maybe not so bad when you end up with an adorable, colorful top like the one below!



The inspiration arrived from an art fair that sells some of the hippest, graphic t's we've ever seen.
I wanted to figure out a way that the girls could create their own one of a kind pieces with fool proof methods. That's where contact paper came in! Perfect for creating your own stencils, contact paper completely adheres to many fabrics leaving your art work with sharp edges and lines.
And it's the most inexpensive.
So how do you get started?
First, there's a couple things you'll need.

~ fabric paints
~ contact paper
~ scissors
~ marker
~ paper clips
~ sponges (cut into small cubes)
~ t-shirts, or white fabric
~ old jar lids, or apple sauce cups, or egg carton for the paints
~ plastic cutting boards or cardboard, so that your
t-shirts have something separating the 2 layers of fabric



Start by wrapping the t-shirt or fabric around the cutting boards. Fold taut so that your shirt lays flat.


Fold your contact paper in half. Since the edges can be stubborn and may naturally want to roll, use the paper clips to prevent your paper from moving. 

Next... remember making snowflakes?
Draw out a shape and cut into them with similar designs.
Keep in mind, that the relief, or negative space will become the actual image.



When finished cutting, unfold, and peel off the back.
Adhere it to your shirt and open those paints!


You can use a ton of household items for paint storage. Just remember
that a little fabric paint can go a long way.
Wet your sponges first and squeeze out any excess water.
Now you can begin painting your items.



When it has mostly dried, 'cause you'll be too excited to wait till it's completely dried,
start at a sharp corner or curve & slowly peel the adhesive sticker off.
That's it!
I'm pretty sure you'll love the image.
Hands down, this has become my favorite shirts and one of my favorite projects:) 
Made by my lovely ladies, it's packed with an authentic design and bright colors.



I guarantee that once you start painting, you won't be able to stop.
We ended up moving onto fabrics swatches too.
Ya' know, just to play around:)



Remember to allow a couple hours of drying before wearing your tops;)
Also....this makes a great party project for kids.
Could you imagine if you had white canvas bags and everyone designed a one of a kind tote?
Pretty good idea, wouldn't you say?



Happy Trails:)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent