Skip to main content

The Alison Bathing Suit

Let me start off by saying it's a true compliment when your spouse looks at you and says, "You bought another bathing suit?" As soon as I heard my hubby utter those words I knew I was successful.

 


First and foremost, I'm not a fan of printing patterns at home. But Burdastyle gets an A+ for this one. It was soo easy to print and put together. You have a four inch test square that helps you gauge if it printed correctly. If not, check your printer settings. The directions, however, are another story. You definitely need a little sewing experience for this project. And the reason... To know what to do when the pattern leaves you hangin'.

I can see how the ratings for this suit are a mere 3 out of 5 stars. (And to think, I just thought everyone was being soo mean when I read the complaints about this project.) Before attempting to create this  ~ I read, re-read, and re-read the patterns instructions. There were a couple things that just didn't make sense to me but I figured, ehh...I'll get it. The center tab is not thoroughly explained very well along with attaching most of the separate pieces.  I went along... of course tweaking it to my liking and I love what I ended up with.


Once my pattern was cut out,  I attached the front to the back right sides together. I decided to completely eliminate lining the bodice, so for me I didn't need a half yard of Lycra lining. A quarter will do just fine. I only placed lining in the crotch area because the chest area is already lined. (You will fold over the fabric for that piece.)

For the crotch area, I simply attached my pieces with the serger and stitched them to the bathing suit.

It's starting to look like the suit!

Next, for the chest piece, create gathers as the pattern explains. But DO NOT attach it to your bodice yet.  This is the time you place your cups in the chest if you need them. I wish I had done this. A little lift is always nice. I completely pieced my bra top together, notch and all before attaching it to the bodice. I loved working with it this way. I was able to attach it in sections with slow stitching unlike the pattern which calls for top stitching.... which can look a little sloppy if your not used to working with stretch fabric.

Attaching the band was pretty simple and went along great. I opted to eliminate the back strap for comfort and well... I just liked the way it looked:)

The leg holes were serged and stitched inward. You could attach an extra band for a boycut, but I didn't want that either. The pattern is created to sit a little low naturally.

That's it! Project complete. Time to hit the pool!

 
As for learning... What was gained? First, a better knowledge for manipulating stretch fabric. Second, bra cups are priceless. They keep your puppies in place. And third, I gotta say I'm totally hooked. Next on my want list ~ a high waisted retro bottom with a simple bandeau top. That is... after I make some for the girls:)

Happy Trails!


Comments

  1. Very pretty! I'm doing some research before diving into the Allison pattern, and your post is very helpful.. Thanks so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a delightful piece to work on. Wishing you bathing suit success on new project:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent