Skip to main content

The Denim Crossover


  
Remember when I told you I had a really cool project you could do with all those left over denim legs?  Well here it goes! This cute and adorable, sturdy bag was made for the summer weather. The best part ~ it was free! All you need are some remnants of jeans you made into shorts, a straight edge, a rotary cutter,  a sewing machine, thread and extra fabric. The straight edge is the key ingredient!  Here we go!


 
Cut on the right or left side of each seam so that you use the most of your fabric.
I saved my jean remnants vs the girls for the strap because the length was the longest.

 
Using the straight edge and the rotary cutter, start by creating strips of various widths.
This doesn't have to be perfect as you'll see in the pictures below, you will have to trim excess pieces.
Lay them out in a desired pattern before stitching. Think of quilting patterns.

 
Stitch them together. I did this with a serger but a regular straight stitch is just as good.
Because.... below you will see I reinforced each section with blue thread on my regular machine so that no 'white' serger thread shows through. (I know pointless, but I like finished edges.)

 
 
Trim away the excess and continue to sew until your face designs are complete.

 
 
 
Stitch the face fabric together at the sides and at the bottom so that only the top remains open.

 
Use this square as your template for the lining fabric.
Cut and do the same. Stitch the sides and bottom leaving the top open.
 
 
I created the base of the bag by stitching two inches inward, folding the base sideways.
A little difficult to explain, the picture above shows how it was done.

 
Place your lining inside the bag and this is what you got so far!

 
 
Fold the fabrics inward to each other so that you have a finished area where your strap will be inserted.
 
 
I made the strap by connecting the same type denim into one long strip.
I folded one side in an inch and the opposite side about a centimeter.

Fold over and stitch your strap 3 times. Once in the center and then on each side for reinforcement.

 
Place the strap inside and stitch twice around the whole bag to secure the straps.
And... your done!
 
 
 

 
Pretty cute! Wouldn't you say?
Now that it's complete, I would've loved a chevron denim pattern!
(Possibly another project...)
 
Happy trails to the useful items we create!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent