Skip to main content

Rose Oil & Elderflower Syrup



The Cherokee Rose

Everything has been coming up roses & elderberries!
From wild bushes in fields to the ones planted with purpose, there is a breathtaking scent that sweeps the yard when the light summer wind blows.

So how can you bottle up that aroma or take all the goodness to use in the winter months? Very simply. You can make rose oil & elderflower syrup!




Use dry rose petals for teas and drinks!

~ROSE OIL~

All you need is some fresh buds, a jar, and a carrier oil. I used grapeseed oil for it's high benefits in skin care. It is great for clogged pores and oily skin! It has twice the amount of Vitamin E and is extremely high in Vitamin C. Did you know it even works as a natural sunscreen?

Simply fill your jar to the max with fresh buds and petals and add the oil. Make sure to add it slowly and gently tap the bottom of the jar to remove all air bubbles. The oil should completely cover the petals. Close your jar and place it by a sunny window for about 4 weeks to let the sun cook it.

I did this early in June when our wild rose bushes were in full bloom. Could I tell you how wonderful the smell of this oil is? My rose loving teenager still can't believe how we were really able to bottle that scent!





Finished bottle of rose oil once the petals have been removed.


******************************************************


~ELDERFLOWER SYRUP~


Elderberry syrup is so good for you!  But are you aware that so is Elderflower?  If you don't feel like waiting till the berries are ripe, go ahead a pick those beautiful, creamy white, lace-like blossoms! You won't regret it.

Elderflower has been used in my family for decades! Typically grown in moist soil, you can often find these marvelous medicinal bushes growing in wet ditches. Even though they are sun loving plants, we are lucky enough to have ours nestled in a lightly wooded area that collects a ton of rain at the bottom of a hill near our home.

Elderflowers have healing benefits for colds, sinus infections, bronchitis, and even the flu! They are packed with anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties that work internally as well as topically.  The teas can even be used as a mild astringent for cleansing the skin of irritation and impurities like that of eczema and acne.

In the past, I've always dried the flowers, using them for simple teas when cold symptoms would arise.  Then I realized... how much easier would it be if I had a simple syrup readily available? I could add it on top of buttered toast, cold teas, ice cream, and even use it as an alternative sweetener for homemade salad dressings! 

All you have to do is dry your elderberry flowers and cook them up into a simple syrup.



To dry the flower buds, I spread them across my dining room table on a cotton tablecloth, unwashed.
The drying process usually takes 2 - 3 weeks. All you have to do is ensure proper air flows throw the room. A breezy window would be perfect during daylight hours.

Just measure equal parts of three items:
~ sugar
~ water
 ~ dried elderflower buds

(I do not recommend using fresh buds.)

For my mixture, I used 6 cups of each, making sure that the flowers were not compressed during each measurement.

Combine all your ingredients and boil on a medium heat setting until the sugar completely melts. (I have a tendency to cook it for an additional 5 minutes.) The longer you cook it, the more potent your syrup will be. 

Ahhh the sweet smell of success! Elderflowers have a definitive scent.



Strain the liquid carefully and place it into sterilized jars while it's hot. To do this, I use a large wire colander strainer spoon to remove the flower buds. A metal sieve and funnel for canning are perfect for getting the syrup into the jars and catching any small particles. Place the caps on immediately, while everything is hot. As it cools, you will hear a pop, ensuring that your liquid is completely sealed!

After the jars cool to room temperature, place them in the fridge. This delicious concoction can last up to 6 months!

Use roughly 2-3 teaspoons of this syrup for your mixed drinks, iced teas, or hot beverages! 

The possibilities are endless!


I love reusing glass bottles! These are Snapple bottles that had their labels removed are were re-sterilized.
Guess what? They popped during the cooling process too! Hooray for re-usable bottles!


Hope you enjoy! Till next time friends:)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal Knob Rack

So... what can you do with a piece of wood measuring 45 inches by 3 1/2? Well, if it's 1 inch thick, you can use it to make the cutest wall rack. But instead of using hooks, use drawer knobs!   Here's how the idea got started. I needed a place to photograph kids aprons. Now, most of you know that my girls have been modeling them, but they can't model toddler aprons, right? All I could picture was a gorgeous crystal knob rack used to display those mini aprons I love to make. And after searching in stores and online, I realized they are not very easy to find. Soo...... "oooohhh hubby.... can you drill a few holes in this piece of oak wood I found in the barn?"   Of course he did it in a heart beat & he even sanded it down too! The holes were positioned like this: I did the two outer ones first, then measured to the center in between those. And again, the middle of the center and outer one. Got it? I took some regular creamy white wall paint I had left

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the

January.... you're almost done!

Hello friends!  I feel like it's been forever since my last post. I suppose some might even say I've been spending nearly all my time on the forefront of creative madness along with trying to continue healing. Holy smokes! Chemo and radiation will change a person forever. I'm continuing my healing journey, and staying hopeful that I'll remain in the 'clear' for a long time. It's odd, the way you feel, when everything you've gotten accustomed to: the running around, working day to day, rushing here and rushing there.... how quickly it changes when it's no longer a necessity. Yes, I am extremely thankful that my spouse supports and pushes for my healing time, omitting nurse life as it was, but like I told my girlfriend the other day, "how many craft projects can a girl possibly do?" ..... Well let me just tell you..... A LOT! Today's post will revisit some Instagram pics, (in case you don't follow along) with some of my most recent