Skip to main content

A Red Quilt

I've always wanted a red and white quilt.... And guess what? I've finally got one just in time for Valentine's Day! 






Nothing was more appropriate than using Moda's Love quilt pattern for a red and white quilt. It was so fun and easy to make with directions for a mini-charm, charm pack, or layer cake. The central flying geese were added to visually break up the large quilt blocks. Seriously, this was one project that moved along rather quickly! Overall it measures 73" by 73".


And just because.... Who would've thought simple red doilies on white bags would look so festive? I made these for my daughter's Valentine's Day party at school! Super cute and quick! They were a hit!

On another note, my sewing machine is sounding even squeakier which is keeping me on toes. Yes.... I still haven't gotten a new machine....Two things ~ first, it needs to be serviced and second, I need a new machine.... But I've got so many projects in the works, and I haven't been in a mood to "learn" a new machine. I did manage to make time to stop at a local dealer and check out the Janome Memory Craft. Boy was it heavy! The nice thing about the shop was that they teach you how to use and work the machine so your not stuck with questions when you get home. I've got one more shop to check out some Pfaff machines and I think I'm done... Wish me luck!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...