Skip to main content

Snapshot Ornaments!


Pinterest did it again! I came across this great idea (from Shannon Berrey's Design Blog) to make some really beautiful rustic looking Christmas ornaments. While Shannon painted gorgeous images on her pieces, I decided to use some snapshots taken from our trip to Colorado. Wow, do I love the way these came out!

To make these, you will need:
~ some thin slices of firewood (must be dried) - pre-drill the holes prior to adhering the photos
~ a glass or circle stencil that fits inside of the wood slice
~ some photos
~ mod podge
~ triple thick
~ two paintbrushes, one for mod podge and one for triple thick
~ twine or ribbon
~ scissors 
~ a needle and small nail



My handy man, aka hubby, cut and pre-drilled my wood slices. Brush off any excess wood shavings so that the piece is pretty clean. If it's not clean, your pics will have a tough time sticking. But... do not get the wood wet & do not try to wash it. If you do, you'll have to wait for it to dry out. Thin, wet wood will result in splitting. 




Using a glass as a stencil, trace around the portion of the picture you want to use as an ornament. Cut it out.


Mod podge the back side of the photo and wood. Press them together.



 Now from the back, lightly push a needle through to the front just enough to poke a small hole.



After you see the tiny dot, use a nail to poke a hole from the front of the picture towards the back. This will leave a nice finish where the picture won't look torn or sloppy.


Next, thread the ornament.



Now apply that triple thick, which is a gloss that gives a coating so thick, you will not be able to feel the edges of your photos. I love this stuff! (A ton of jewelry makers use this to set their beads.) You definitely do not want to overwork this stuff. Once it's applied, you should let it sit for about 4 hours before applying the second coat. But I doubt you'll need it... Hence, 'triple' thick.

You can even use a bigger piece of wood as a free standing picture display.



They came out beautiful! Wouldn't they make great gifts too?

Happy Trails till next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...