Skip to main content

It's Already July?



Summer, please slow down! I beginning to think I can't keep up. Some stitching is finally underway along with all the gardening. And by gardening I mean dabbling my hands into cuttings. I found this recipe on Pinterest and had to share it on the blog for all you green thumbs that don't check that site out too often. Did you know you can make your own rooting hormone? Well.... I didn't. That's why I felt the need to experiment and check this out for myself. All you need is a large glass container, nothing you use for food, and two cups of weeping willow leaves. Place the leaves into the jar and pour in 1 gallon of boiling water. Cover it with a lid and let it sit for 24 hours. That's it! I was stunned when I opened it & smelled rooting hormone! We have a couple different types of lavender but there's only one I'm interested in multiplying. I haven't been able to find it at any local garden centers and it's the only one I use for the sachets I sell in The Mint Needle shop. The liquid is great for promoting healthy, disease free roots:) You just gotta give this a try!




On another note ~ Do I dare tell you I've made the BurdaStyle Alison swimsuit? Yup, and you'll hear all about it soon enough. But for the time being, I'll let you have a sneak peak. This awesome fabric screams retro. Palm tree silhouettes playing against a rainbow sunset... I loved it!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...