Skip to main content

Nests



Guess what has happened? A trip to Joann's to get some thread and 2 zippers has ended in nest and pendant making. Seriously? I felt like if I listed these in the Etsy shop, it would be unfair to not let those loyal readers know how it came to be, or better yet why. Before Christmas, I came across one of those beautiful nest necklaces and knew I just had to have one. It was great price, and in my head, I envisioned a small, delicate nest with two, pearled, pink eggs right in the center, to represent my lovelies and motherhood. I made the mistake by not inquiring about the size the nest would be. In the picture, it appeared tiny and fragile in shape. The seller even had a choice in size of eggs. I chose the smaller size as I imagined wearing it as a permanent piece of jewelry around my neck in the summer months. The wrapping was beautiful, but in all honesty, it was not what I had pictured. It was just too large and the backing is too ruff to be worn with a delicate knit top, (for fear of snagging). I still didn't want to send it back for a couple reasons. One, it was fairly inexpensive. Second, I thought that it was a little rude right before Christmas. And third, I made the purchase and felt that there was a bigger reason I should keep it. I should've questioned the size before buying. Right? Anyway... As I entered Joann's yesterday morning, I was drawn to the display of pastel beads. I still pictured wearing my nest necklace....just not the one I purchased. So a strip of pink beads later and some silver painted copper wire, I made a nest.




The wire gauge I chose is alot smaller as are the beads. I ended up making necklaces for my sister, mother, & a few close friends. The nest pendants escalated when I found beautiful vintage glass beads in a jar at home. They finally had a purpose! So.....obviously I don't need a dozen nest necklaces. It's time to share. I'll be shipping the small, nest pendants in tiny, handmade cotton bags. My pendant is currently being worn on a leather necklace for everyday wear that's soft. I love it! I got what I wanted and maybe this was the bigger reason for keeping the giant one. To remind me of the things I can do with my own two hands:)


 
 
Happy Trails:)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...