Skip to main content

Hello Autumn!

A vintage linen towel with a beautiful wheat motif.

 Happy Autumnal Equinox! The season that engulfs our senses has arrived. From the crisp colors of red & yellow to the scent of pumpkin pie or apple cider.  I can never seem to get enough.  I adore it for the significance it has with nature as well as our spirit. Everything starts to slow down & rest. The leaves begin to change & the nights are much cooler. Soon we will indulge in the smell of a fresh lit fire to keep the house cozy. But for today's post, let's indulge our senses with that of taste & make a toast to Fall with a recipe of Homemade Wheat Bread.
Take a look & a try!



4 cups warm water
2/3 cup wildflower honey
2 Tablespoons of dry yeast
5 cups of 100% whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups of white flour
non-stick spray to coat your pans


Lightly mix your warm water, honey, & dry yeast till the yeast begins to dissolve.  I admit, I cheat.... I use my Kitchenaid mixer at a low speed with the Spiral Dough Hook. I slowly add my 5 cups of wheat flour, one at a time. Your dough should not be formed. Add 2.5 cups of white flour. Now....it should be a really soft dough. With white flour on your kneading surface, take your 'soft' dough and go to work. Knead more of the white flour into your wheat bread.

  


When a soft & spongelike dough forms, set it aside in a wood bowl to rise.
 
 
 
I like to use wooden bowls because of the natural warmth they hold. Stainless steel, glass, or plastic is often cool & can slow the rising process.
 
 
 
After your dough has risen, punch it down, re-knead, & place into the bakeware.
Let it rise again.

 
When it has risen again, bake it at 350 for about a half hour. Immediately remove your loaves from their pans to cool. I enjoyed this yummy bread right out of the oven with our homemade blueberry/blackberry syrup. Ohhhh... how I love this blog & the things it allows me to delight in!




 
 
Hope you enjoy!
To cooler days & comfort foods!
Happy Trails:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...