Skip to main content

It's Seed Season

My seed box, reads, "1932, This is the year to plant a garden."
I love spring! And, (in a musical tone), it's seeeeeeeed season! Get out and about to your local garden center and purchase those seeds! It's never too early. (Yup, not even in Northeast Ohio.) I start my spring salad mix & scallions the last week of March, be it rain or thin snow. I have a raised bed that I cover with an old glass window that's no longer in use. ahem.....Instant greenhouse! And in just about 2-3 weeks, my little seedlings hatch. I love pictures, and I love this blog, so of course I have to show you some of my seed packet picks for 2012.






 
Most of you will notice that tomatoes & peppers are not pictured. In all honesty, the only luck I've had with "T" & "P" from seeds are the ones received from family or dear friends. Hint, hint to all you readers. I'll be waiting, maybe we can trade:) To happy gardening!

P.S. You don't have to spend money on those fancy seed starting kits. Technically, they're just supporting a specific company. Go Green and re-use veggie packaging or use those tea boxes or cereal boxes. They are biodegradable and will allow for good drainage. Just cut them down to a couple inches. Have fun!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...