Skip to main content

Bias Tape Bound

Bias Tape - A narrow strip of fabric, cut on
the cross grain.



Remember the first time you learned about something you thought was 'tough', & really....it wasn't?  Or, how great that feeling was when you finally got the concept of how something was created? Awhile ago, I had a dear friend tell me all about bias tape and how simple it was to make. It wasn't until I started different sewing projects that I realized how important it really is. From finishing edges to adding a retro flair, I am truly in love with this amazing little thing.



So, I thought I'd share with you something you already knew.... There are not that many fabric choices for bias tape! I want to give a big THANKS to The Colette Sewing Handbook for breaking this down into easy steps. Sarai Mitnick gives us a hands-on way of looking at fabric & through folding and sewing, we are able to achieve making our own trim. Best of all, you don't even need alot of fabric.


Pay attention to matching those lines up. (And don't forget to offset the first row.)
 This bias tape is 2" wide to fit the little gadget below.
 I wanted to post it to show how tricky it looks.
Check out the website for the on-line tutorial. It's great too!

This little tool saves a TON of time, and at 7 bucks, you can't beat it!
Just iron as you pull!



My finished product!

So happy with my polka dot bias tape:) I just can't wait to use it! For more fabric choices, I recommend using a fat quarter at your fabric store. They go anywhere from a buck to two. It's a price you can't beat!

P.S
I hope everyone had a great Saint Patrick's Day!
(sending you all a little Irish Blessing)

May you always have
walls for the winds
a roof for the rain
tea beside a fire
laughter to cheer you
those you love near you
and all your heart might desire!

Happy Trails:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...