Skip to main content

The Odesa Quilt



The Odesa Quilt... Where do I start? It appears that these 'ideas' sneak up on me. What starts off as a "I love these fabrics, gotta buy them" turns into a... "Oh my gosh, this would look great" moment. Mix that in with late nights on Adobe Illustrator and traveling the world through the internet, as many of us did in 2020, The Odesa Quilt was born. 


I absolutely love and adore this throw size quilt to pieces. It's fun, vibrant, and the perfect size! I feel very fortunate to say I had an AMAZING group of lovelies pattern testing it to perfection! Just check out the hashtags on Instagram. (#odesaquilt & #amintneedlepattern) 









I decided to take a different approach and not make multiple sizes for the pattern. (Price point taken into consideration.) Instead, I wanted to design a quilt with endless possibilities. It's a pattern that can be used over and over again. The blocks are quite easy to make and only include half square triangles, squares, rectangles, & flying geese. By switching up the block placement, the pattern turns into many different quilts! The goal - to break the blocks down so easily that the future quilter is able to expand to new levels and use their knowledge with other quilt patterns.


Reflecting back, it's safe to say that this was a "solids year" for me.  I didn't spend much time working with printed fabrics and tried to focus on learning about color value and contrast instead. I'm beginning to notice that even the most simplistic patterns can become works of art if one just knows where to place the colors!

So what's on the up and coming?

As for now... I'm enjoying my sewing time moving onto new quilty horizons ~ thanks to one of the pattern testing gals! I've never done foundation paper piecing (FPP) until this past month and I just can't get enough! (Pinterest is packed with many free patterns.) It is so fun, so FAST, and so much more easier than I had ever imagined. Not to mention, it uses up the loads of saved fabric remnants!


I hope that the holidays are full of blessings and good health. 
And may they continue into the new year! 
Happy Trails to 2021!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...