Skip to main content

Kissing Fish Quilt

Hello, hello readers! I'm so excited about today's post! And there are so many reasons why! For starters, I want to show you all what's been on the sewing table. Second.... I'm giving you a pattern for my Kissing Fish Quilt! 


This is how it came to be... An unorganized sewing room + scraps galore + thinking I need to de-clutter and organize = I forgot I had this fabric..... It would make a cute little project :)

Here's how you can make one!

All you need are three fabrics! Two coordinating for the fish and a background fabric!

For the fish:
You will need to make 96 - 2 1/5 inch half square triangles. I did this by using triangles on roll. It's a ton faster than cutting little blocks! Cut the triangles on a roll into 8 block sections. You will need 6. (Each section of 8 will give you 16 hst's x 6 = 96 hst's done very quickly!)


Create little blocks by sewing 4 hst's together. 



You can personalize your layout simply by flipping them in different directions. For example, in my quilt, 2 fish are different than the other two. You can't catch it quickly but if you look closely you'll notice!


 Cut 12 blocks measuring 5 1/2 inches of your background fabric. Lay out your fish and place the 12 blocks in the correct sections according to the picture. (3 solid color blocks per fish)

Remember to press your seams open.
Once stitched together you should see 4 fish!



But those empty spots need to be filled too!
Cut 5 - 15 1/4 inch blocks of the background fabric. Put one aside for your center. 
Cut 4 of the large squares on a diagonal. 





Take 2 of the already cut halves and cut them in half again. These will become the four corners.
(You should have 2 half triangles left over that you will not need to use.)





When stitching all the pieces together, it's best to work in sections.


Isn't that just adorable! I'm so ecstatic about this project. It's one more reason I need to keep practicing free motion quilting so that I can make some bubbles up the center ;) The finished quilt top measures 42" by 42". Perfect for the little people!




One more thing.... 

I absolutely love coming across other sites and finding cool freebies and patterns. I hope you enjoy this one! I'd love to hear any feedback and I'd even love more to see how your projects came out! If you post on Instagram - please use the hashtags #kissingfishquilt #themintneedle :) Happy stitching away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...