Skip to main content

DIY Ruffle Apron


Spring has arrived! And even though it may be chilly outside, in the house, the flowers are stirring with this adorable vintage inspired apron. I had this idea when I realized that a lovely pair of polyester shams, (hand me downs from Grams), were never going to make it to the bed. But geez.... that fabric would be perfect for a hostess apron! 

Take your dupa shopping to some resale shops! You'll want to get as many vintage shams as you can because these would make the perfect gift too:) The bigger the ruffles, the better the apron!


Take your washed sham to the cutting table. Fold it length wise and make a cut off center. (To know where to cut, play around first by folding over your apron, creating two layers. Do you like them closer together or farther apart?)


The coolest thing - your apron is even guaranteed a secret pocket - the old pillow opening! You can see in the picture below where I placed my scissors.


Pin your layers together. Make sure that right sides are both facing the same direction.


I used a serger but you can definitely use a regular machine with a zig-zag stitch. If you do, top the zig zag stitch with another straight stitch for extra reinforcement. 


For stitching on the waist tie - I pinned where I should start and stop sewing so that I can insert my apron and finish with a top stitch. That's all! How quick was that?!?!


Isn't it lovely?



Even though I usually make aprons from quilting fabric, this was such a nice change for me. Given that they were grandmother's shams, I'll be keeping these aprons for my girls:)


Here's to creating the new from the old:) Till next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...