Skip to main content

The Mesa Quilt

Begonia love. That red goes perfect with the new Mesa quilt top!

I think I have a really big problem. It involves fabric hoarding, some cutting tools, & pinterest. Seriously.
I finally finished piecing together my quilt top from the lovely Cotton + Steel Collection Mesa by Alexia Abegg. Oh, how I love it!


There's just something about the moment you take your project outside and watch the wind carry it a bit. It's like your watching your work come to life. The colors are so vibrant, so potent, that these pictures just don't do justice.
Each flying geese is 4 x 8 inches, making the quilt a total size (so far) of 65 by 69 inches.
"So far" because I'm still debating on leaving it like so or adding a mini geese border with the fabric leftovers. Could you believe all I used was one fat quarter bundle? 




So what am I working on next? Oh, ya know, nothing like starting multiple projects at once.
I've already got blocks cut up for some more flying geese, but this time it's all pastels. (Seriously, I don't know what's up with me and triangles.) Some 'feathers' are also being given a try along with a pretty gorgeous quilt block involving mountains. Only if there was more time in the day....

~On another note~
There's a ton more things I've stitched together. I got two more strip quilts that I have to take some snapshots of. I know 2!!! But they're super fun and quick to sew up especially if all you want to do is sit & stitch without thinking. Ha! I also started up a couple more pillow covers but they never quite made it all the way. I'll have to share those items and more next time!

Happy Trails!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...