Skip to main content

A Triangle Quilt




Okay people, let me start by saying, that I love this quilt. I ordered this fabric specifically with the intent of making a triangle quilt. And anyone that follows my pinterest boards would know, I'm in loooove with triangle quilts. I'm not sure if it's the graphics or what, but it's extremely pleasing to the eye ... my eye.

Fabric ~ Lotta Jansdotter.

Going on..... what i'm not thrilled about is the way the triangles came together.  As many of you know, I'm fairly new at 'quilting'. I've been sewing since middle school, ya know that home ec class that hooks you and makes you ask your parents for a sewing machine on your 14th birthday;) But... quilting involves ALOT of,  do I dare say it...... math. It also involves patience, soo much patience and understanding of the tools you buy. The latter, my friends, is what got me on this quilt.  


Ya see this lovely triangle template missing the points, especially the top? Well, if you've never used one of these & thought, "it's a triangle, how hard can this be?" (because they don't come with instructions), you will end up with a quilt that has exactly that : triangles with a center tip missing. Geesh..... go figure.


Sooo... why is it missing? I'm assuming to eliminate fabric bulkiness at the seams. But this too, has to be researched....



I'm still planning on finishing it up. It really is beautiful. And..... I think that I might even be able to pull this off as an intentional design. As for the triangle template > I got it down and have already pieced together a new quilt & guess what? The sections have sharp points!  Yahoo!!!



 If you're looking for good tips on how to work with triangles, check out The Sassy Quilter. What I liked about her tutorial? Her triangle tip (template) was cut off too!! (But i'm noticing that not many online fabric & quilting supply shops carry those missing point templates. Most of them are just regular shaped triangles. Makes you wonder.)
And last but not least, Connecting Threads has some great examples of how to get perfect points every time! Check it out! You'll learn about the importance of a positioning pin.

On another note: Is March really here? It's freeeeeeeeeeeezzzing in Ohio!!! But that doesn't mean you can't order seeds and plants from all those great gardening catalogs! They're arriving in the mail daily and every one is so inspiring :) 

Happy trails to triangle quilting and keep our hearts warm!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...