Skip to main content

Elderberry Simple Syrup


I'm telling you... finding elderberry bushes in the woods was so exciting for me. Why? Well, maybe it's because we love & live taking Sambucol which is an elderberry supplement. Yup, I've been giving this yummy addition to the family for as long as I could remember. (We do take breaks however, so that the our bodies do not develop a tolerance to the vitamins.) So... adding something like this homemade simple syrup, once in awhile, to our teas or warm milk in place of honey is something pretty special. Not to mention - it serves great for mixed cocktails as well... wink, wink. 
 

This is an old little something ~ my mother said ~ they used to do in Serbia.  Collect the elderberry flower heads and place them in a pot. (I did not rinse my flower heads either.) Fill the pot with bottled water, just enough to submerge the flowers. Cover with a lid and let it sit for 24 hours. The next day, you should a slight tinge of yellow water. Take it to the stove and bring your flowers and water to a rapid boil. Once boiling, take it away from the heat and strain the flowers out. You may have to do this part a second time with an unbleached coffee filter so that all those tiny particles are completely gone. Next add that sugah! 


Simple Syrup Recipe
~ 1 part sugar to 1 part water~



When all the sugar has melted and the bubbling appears a little 'thick', remove it from the heat and bottle the syrup immediately. You can re-use old bottles, but only if they have been used for drinks. Remember - no canned food jars! Also, remember not to close the bottle until it cools down a bit. Once you put the cap on, it should go straight in the fridge!



The syrup is a pretty yellow & tastes divine as an addition to homemade lemonade with mint! If you're feeling a little creative in the kitchen, I would definitely give this a try! For more information regarding the history and use of elderberries, check out Sacred Earth.
Hope you enjoy! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...