Skip to main content

Mom's Market Tote


Thinking of Mother's Day, I wanted to make my special mom a new work tote that was reversible and could easily be used at the market as well. Ya know, the whole green thing plus advertising for her daughter's Etsy shop...wink, wink. There was no pattern involved, just some rectangular pieces of fabric I had left over and playing around. I made sure that all my stitching and "add on's" like pockets and labels were sewn into place before applying the fusible interfacing on the reverse. That stuff makes anything more durable! I also paid extra attention to the straps that were sewn twice from the inside then enforced with a block on the outside. Pretty cute and bright, wouldn't you say? I think she'll love it!







And the "a-ha" moment for next time? I really wish I had stitched one ribbon between each of the arched straps. Why? Because when you put the bag together, these ribbons could have been tied to shut the bag. I'll have to make a mini demo just to see what it would look like!






On another note.... Mother Nature is still trying to figure out Ohio's forecast. Everything is coming up in blooms but the breezes are still on the chilly side. I'm hoping that she'll opt for warmer temps since there's plenty of birthday's coming up. My daughter will be turning 10!!! (exclamations to show my internal emotions: both happy and scared) ~ and I will be turning 3-3.... Funny thing ~ I remember when my mom was that age & it turns out it's not as old as I thought it was. Yes, the years are flying but it's all good :)

Happy Trails ~ to thinking about our moms... & daughters:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...