Skip to main content

Bow Making 101


There's no better time to re-introduce this forgotten & clever tool more than now. With presents getting wrapped and Christmas shopping galore, Janell's Dial-a-Bow makes a perfect return for some holiday cheer! Our super sweet neighbor passed this handy tool along to my girls. The set came complete with gorgeous, vintage, satin & velvet ribbon. I spent the morning playing around and creating some beautiful bows thanks to a well kept guide. Who says it's for kids? I loved it! Ya know, I hear bow making used to be quite the crafty thing. And yeah, even though you can get a giant bow bag for 99 cents, it's not quite the same as making them yourself. So.... here's a look at some experimental bow making:)






The clear plastic top in the removal pin which holds your bow together.

My first bow

The bow is created upside down.  When complete, just press on the red dial
and your bow pops right off!

Getting the hang of it!



I'm still trying to master the rose bow and I think the key is thinner ribbon!





You can find bow makers at great prices & the pins are still available for purchase too!
Check out Ebay & Etsy before you head to your local craft store!

Here's to making what's outside the box just as important as the inside:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...