Skip to main content

The Inspiring Aprons


Hey readers! Today's post is about another wonderful sewing excursion I've embarked upon. Helping make these beautiful aprons for my daughters and nieces. Nope, these aren't the baking, gardening, or party aprons like you see in the etsy shop. 

 

Instead, they are handmade with needlework, velvet, lace, & fringe. The girls, along with my two nephews have the wonderful experience of participating in Serbian folklore dancing at our church. The costumes as a whole are just gorgeous, but the aprons are my favorite;) My mother did the needlework using a wide cross stitch grid and placing it onto the velvet. The wider the grid, the easier it is to pull the fibers out, leaving only the floral design. I completed them by piecing together the different layers: the lining, trim, face, & waistband. The end result was beautiful and just makes me want 
to do a little of my own cross stitching as well. 
Moms ~ How they do inspire:)

And below... This lovely apron is Mom's original from the early 70's. The polka dot lining is perfect!






On another note, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't mention.... ~ I hope everyone had a delightful Halloween! We sure did:) It was rainy and unusually warmer than the previous years. It made walking up to all those greatly decorated Halloween porches that much more fun! The girls were soaked, the make-up was runny, but the smiles were huge! And as always, my husband and I seem to be drawn to the candy dish more than the girls! To entering November on a sweet note!


Happy Trails:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...