Skip to main content

Good Finds

Every year after Labor Day, our neighborhood holds a "community sale". But it's more than that. One of my favorite things about this is the flea market that gets set up in front of the Elementary School. It always includes two loyal sellers who travel from Cleveland to set up shop right under some beautiful trees. (And every year, they receive a loyal customer...me.) Check out some of my favorite finds!

 

Clip on earrings from the 50's & 60's
 

3 yards of vintage fabric
 
My fave! This would make a perfect addition to an apron!
 
If it's vintage, I adore it. Especially the linens and needlework items. I grew up in a home with an avid crochet-er, my mom. There were always a ton of handmade items around the house ~ table clothes, doilies, and wall art. Growing up watching my mother spend hours, weeks, and even months on these items made me have a love and respect for them like no other piece of art. So... when I go to these flea markets and estate sales and I see that handmade crochet doilies or table runners are only a buck...you better believe I grab them. I would never have the guts to show you readers what has accumulated through the years but I will say it has become the driving force behind creating some 'upcycled' items.

And on another note:

Coming home from work to find a fairy circle is one of the coolest things ever! So happy to see my girls made a 'dance floor' for our winged friends:)

 
Till next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...