Skip to main content

Homemade Ice Cream




Can you feel the heat? The whole Country is engulfed in humid, hot, & muggy air. I gotta admit I'm a heat lover.... or was.... all up until my little one got sick & didn't feel good. That's when an 'X' was put on any outdoor activities from noon till 6pm. So...What did we do indoors beside enjoy air conditioning, lounging, & coloring you ask? We made ice cream! And I'm utterly excited to share with you my homemade recipe.

3 eggs ~ divided
1/2 cup sugar & 2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
some fruit..... I used cherries: pitted, cut, & frozen prior to adding them to my ice cream
                              &
                        blackberry syrup (from my previous post)

In a mixer on high speed, mix 3 egg whites & 1/2 cup of sugar until you get meringue with stiff peaks.  



Meanwhile, in a pot, boil a couple inches of water & place another bowl inside, (so that your steam is what warms your bowl).  Mix with a whisk 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1 cup milk, & 2/3 cup sugar until hot & frothy.


Remove from the heat & place your bowl on a cold surface for quick cooling.  Fold the meringue into the frothy mixture. If clumps form, use a strainer to 'sift' the clumps.


I thought it would be a cute idea to use freezer safe jelly jars to store my homemade concoction. For this recipe, I sterilized 6 jam jars & filled them with the ice cream mixture 2/3 full.


I added syrup in some & frozen cherries in others. 


The jars were filled with the fruits until a centimeter was left at the top, (which is needed for shaking it up during the freezing process).  About every 30 minutes, we'd reach into the freezer & shake those jars or flip them.



Sooo delicious! It was a hit with everyone!


Within a few hours we were enjoying ice cream! Could you imagine... fresh blueberries, strawberries, maraschino cherries....chocolate covered coffee beans...Reese's peanut butter cups...bubble gum balls...ooohh my gosh....I have to stop!  You get the picture. The possibilities are endless!

To keeping cool in summer heat:)
Happy Trails! 

P.S. Of course the little one felt better after mama's ice cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...