Skip to main content

Ruffles, Squares, & Lace



Everyone is getting their wardrobes ready for the summer weather. And while some of us don't mind to splurge, others are looking for ways to save money. This is where I step in:) As a mom of girls, we know that things can get pretty pricey as they develop their own style.  So I took it upon myself to grab those old tanks and add some style. We've seen this look for sometime and it really is adorable. All you need is an old top and some fabric remnants!


I took a basic 'hanes' tank and a old mini scarf that's been laying around.


I stitched one side, running a straight line while keeping the stitch length at the longest setting
so that I could pull one of my two threads to create the ruffles.  If you keep
your stitch length the usual 2.5, you'll have a harder time pulling to create the frills.


I pinned the ruffle upwards so that you would only see a clean finish when being worn.


After I saw how cute this came out, I had to grab one of my tanks and play around.


Here, I had an uneven scrap strip of really bright and beautiful fabric.
I cut it into a whole bunch of uneven squares. After being washed, this will give that frayed look.


I stitched the squares together the same as the ruffles.
My sewing machine was programmed on the
longest stitch, (5.0), and I left a little room between each square so that when I 'pulled' for
the ruffles, they aligned better.



Take a look at how cute your new top will look!



Lace works great too!
Because it is more intricate, I made pleats instead.


Double up the layers for a really cute top!


Hope you enjoyed this easy way to get more out of your clothes!
Now you can save money & look stylish:)
Happy Trails:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...