Skip to main content

A Quilt of One's Own

I'm starting a quilt!!! I have spent sooo much time admiring quilts and thanks to Pinterest, I've been pushed over the edge. I do not have a finished project to show you, only a picture of what I got so far. I have fallen in love with the 'scrappy' quilts that have bursts of colors engulfed with a solid background, like white or cream. Take a look at my 'blocks' so far. The goal for completion is summer. (This is my first quilt after all & I love to switch around and work on a couple projects at a time.) I know I probably didn't do this correctly, but I just began serging together all my scraps. When I got a 'blob', I pressed & cut it to a 6 inch square.

Now I can't wait for more scraps to come!


A big thanks to the great sales rep at Joann's last night. My 7 year old & I went on a late night excursion and while my fabric was getting cut, the woman told me all about Lasagna Quilts/The Jelly Roll Quilt. I came home and checked it out right away. To my surprise, I'm in AWE! This is a must do for anyone!!! (Even those first timers.) It looks like a blast. If all goes well with 'scrappy', I will definitely be giving this a try. Just take a look :
(in the search box type: The Jelly Roll 1600 Quilt)
You'll be amazed. You Tube videos are also available. I was blown away by the winners time. 
Hope you enjoy!

Comments

  1. This is great, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see the finished product:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is musmula?

Look at these beauties. Finally, I find an answer to this question! The translation for the Turkish, Mediterranean fruit called 'musmula' is 'medlar'.  This exotic fruit that's a cross between a pear and a hawthorn is very unique and tasty. I owe great thanks to my grandfather for grafting this beauty in my yard. Sadly, I don't have any recipes regarding the medlar. But I have read that it is great for making preserves and jelly's. This is a tasty fall fruit that can only ripen after the first frost. I should really move them to a dry shelf until the pulp softens. Then, they're the best!

The Ogden Cami ~ A Review

Hello friends! I hope you all had a wonderful February and a great start to March! Spring is right around the corner and I'm counting down to daylight savings on March 10th! Hooray for longer sunshine! Lately, I've been longing to go back to stitching up clothes. And... I ended up finding the cutest pattern to get me back in the groove at Hawthorne Threads . The Ogden Cami by True Bias Patterns is perfect and quite simple! I started off by making a test run with some red, light-weight fabric, figuring if this comes out good, I'll have 2 tops! And guess what? It came out awesome! Making a practice piece was a great idea. It's always recommended and there are so many reasons why. In the instructional booklet, I wrote myself little notes.  ~ cut the fabric 1/4" larger at the sides so I can use a serger. This will allow me to have finished ends and still a good seam allowance.  ~ cut the straps 1/2" larger, so the ...

Flying Geese ~ Etno Style

The fabric, the quality, the colors..... I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Etno Fabric Collection  by Pat Bravo!! The colors & shapes are always so inspiring. And as I was working on this project, new ideas were getting sparked. (So..... you're going to be checking out two more pieces I've been working on.) One thing is for sure. These gorgeous prints needed to be center of attention and what better way than with City Stitches Follow the Leader Quilt! All you can focus on is the way the colors play and blend together. The flying geese were made using the "no waste method". The large square (main fabric) measured 9-1/4" by 9-1/4" while the four small (white) squares were 4-7/8" by 4-7/8". This left me with four flying geese per one fabric pattern that measured 4" by 8".   I love the way this piece came out so much!  The fourth row of flying geese from the no waste method we...